Dating back to 1794, the red brick building has been a public market, a town hall, Portsmouth’s city hall and a bank. It features three floors and a fourth-floor ellipse. The high-ceilinged street-level space houses a restaurant; architecturally preserved features include large arch-top windows throughout the first level and a bank vault transformed into a wine cellar. Upper floors are now modern office spaces, some with exposed beams and high ceilings. The copper-topped ellipse accesses roof-top decks featuring panoramic views of North Church and Market Square. Photovoltaic solar panels on the roof offset the building’s energy use and blend in with surrounding architecture, leaving views unimpeded.
Original copper-clad window sills and frames were retained and restored. Second and third floor windows feature brick returns and soldier headers with limestone keystones. The structure’s front and back entrances are buttressed by gas lanterns and catenary lighting.